Sunday, August 4, 2013

Go HuGE or go home

Orientation this week. While it's been super jam-packed, I am so in love with my school and classmates. I've met about 50% of the class so far and everyone seems so personable and friendly. We are a smaller class than most med schools (104 in our class), so it's very intimate and family-like. Most of the days consisted of presentations and small group sessions to orient us to school policies, introduce important people aka deans and course managers, and just get to know everyone. And every night, the MS2s organized a fun event, like Trivia Night (nope, I'm not competitive at games AT ALL) and a Scavenger Hunt all over Sacramento.

Yup, scavenger hunt. Not your average run around and find hidden items deal. But a full city-wide search of Sacramento gems, like Gunther's Ice Cream, the Capitol Mall, the Art Museum, the Zoo, Evangeline's Costume Shop, and local coffee shops. Oh and we also had to get random people to take pictures with us for $1 and perform on the street corner. No sweat. Twenty-six items to check off in under 4 hours. And yes, my team got them all ;) with pit-stops at McDonald's and buying a bike off of a Craigslist post. Bam!

Our team mascot.
Costume Shop in Old Sac.
Dared to try the wackiest flavor. Rum Raisin.
At UCD, students also get divided in colleges, a la Harry Potter. So I'm in HuGE college, which is, of course, the best one in my humble opinion. [What size is it? HUUUUUUUUUUGE] Blue is a good color, after all. The color of Ravenclaw House, in fact! But to heat up the rivalries among the colleges, the MS2s also hosted a College Olympics this week. I'm talking Tug of War, Sack races, Wheelbarrow races, Water Balloon Dodgeball, and my personal favorite, Watermelon Eating. Translation: I am never eating watermelon again. [Why is there an entire watermelon all sliced up and ready to eat in my fridge? Why? WHY?] Needless to say, these last few days have been ridiculously fun.

Our awesome House t-shirt.
College Olympics with our amazing school in the background. [Photo credit: VL]
Most importantly, I got inducted into medical school, white coat, stethoscope, fancy badge, and all. The school put on a nice ceremony to officially welcome us into the fold. All med students receive white coats before starting this journey. But UCD likes to present its students with our first stethoscopes as well, as a symbolic gesture, which is super cool. [Fun Fact: the length of your white coat determines how far along you are in the field. So med students have short white coats, residents have medium-length coats, and attendings wear long coats.]

Sibs. My, he looks happy.
It's going to be a kick-ass four years. Classes start tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! So stoked! (PS - totally brought my Phy Sci notes over) :D

      Delete
  2. So proud of you! Can't wait to call you Dr. Talin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that picture of you and your brother! Haha!!! He sure looks happy! I call that a proud brother:)! Good luck on your first day of class Tal! P.S. You wear the white coat and stethoscope well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The symbolic lengths of your white coats is so cool! I will admit right now with no shame that I can't wait until you get your medium length coat so I can shout Pokemon level-up and evolution references at you!

    ReplyDelete