Friday, August 9, 2013

Medical school is hard

People tell you that when you say you want to be a doctor. They tell you again during undergrad. And again when you are applying/interviewing. And again during orientation.

And you don't believe them.

Until it hits you smack dab in the face. Medical school is hard. It's Day 4 and I've felt overwhelmed, exhausted, and behind my schedule since Day 2. We have had more lectures in four days than two weeks' worth of undergrad. To be fair, the material isn't that difficult. What's overwhelming is the volume of information thrown at you and the pace at which you need to keep up. And it's not just studying the material covered for the day. You have to prepare for the next day's lectures so that you are able to keep up with the lecture and understand the material. Needless to say, the amount of sleep I've been getting is significantly less than I've grown accustomed to.

To be honest, I thought I would breeze through Block 1. We are taking Anatomy, Physiology, Histology, Biochemistry, and Doctoring. Since I was a Physiology major, I figured that I have already been exposed to most of the material, albeit not in the great detail at this level. Plus, the first course you take as a Phy Sci major at UCLA is Anatomy, and Biochemistry (lecture course AND separate lab course) is a graduation requirement as well. But, again, it comes down to the pacing. We'll usually have multiple lectures from a course every day, so that's been a little adjustment. Everything is videocasted though, so I might consider staying home for certain lectures and going at my own pace to see if that makes a difference. Time is such a precious commodity!

And then, there's Anatomy Lab. I don't think there is anything comparable to Gross Anatomy. I do want to talk more about this, but think it may be best to save for another post, after I've had a few more sessions in the lab.

We have our first quiz (more like a midterm, if you ask me, ha!) on Monday...stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, you will totally get used to the pace. It's quite overwhelming at first, though. :)





    ReplyDelete