Saturday, March 15, 2014

Do you cook?

As I rushed (why am I always 5-10 minutes later than I intend to be?) to take my usual seat next to A, she turned to ask, "Hey T, do you cook?"

My first thought was, I sure do! But I guess if you get down to the nitty-gritty of it, I still need my mom to make some staples for me that I can then incorporate into meals. Why, you ask? Well, I refuse to touch raw meat. I just...cannot. It doesn't help that we just finished the food-borne pathogens module in Microbio. I'm sure I'll get over it soon, but to quote TV-version Syrio Forel, "Not today."

But I digress. This week I worked on some pasta dishes.

Top with even more parmesan cheese if so desired!
Pesto sauce*
1 clove garlic
1/8 cup pine nuts (I usually add a little more, or throw in some walnuts too)
1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves (dry works fine too, be sure to adjust measurement)
1/4 cup loosely packed Italian parsley (can substitute spinach or cilantro, too)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt as needed (I usually skip)

Blend in a food processor and that's it! I'll usually make double the recipe and keep the rest in the fridge.

My mom had made the chicken for me when she visited a few weeks ago. Basically, chicken breasts that she marinated with various spices like red and black crushed pepper, and baked. I heated them up in the pan and then combined the pasta, chicken, and sauce.

*Recipe taken from my awesome Williams-Sonoma Baking Book.

Since I had a lot of pasta left over, I also made some with meat sauce.
Meat sauce*
1/2 pound ground beef (or turkey)
1 can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons red pepper paste
Garlic
Salt
Black and red dry pepper
Oregano or Italian seasoning

Toss with pasta and done!

*Mom's recipe!

But lest you think I'm some kind of chef-in-training, I am also guilty of doing things that show exactly how much common sense (or as my brother loves to points out, "street smarts") I am blessed with. I had a few frozen meatballs in a tiny little plastic tupperware that I thought I could just stick in the microwave. FOR FIVE MINUTES. There was smoke coming out the microwave, the food, the container, everything. My little tupperware sure lost its brave battle.


No comments:

Post a Comment