Saturday, May 28, 2016

Rotation 5: Ob/Gyn

As you can tell, I am trying to bust out as many posts as possible this weekend in order to stay in real-time and before I start my AI next week. More on that later of course...

Rotation 5! There is a light at the end of the tunnel. We are seasoned 3rd years at this point, on the last stretch to the end. After a 2 week hiatus, it's back to the wards...on Ob/Gyn. I could easily say it was the lowest on my list coming into med school. And so I was terrified I would fall in love with it and have a panic attack about how I was going to spin a residency application showing my interest.

I started off on the Obstetrics part of the rotation. Babies babies babies. So cute. It took me back to my Newborn Nursery days. If anything, Labor and Delivery reinforced:

1) how I don't like being in the OR. Sorry, C-sections.
2) how I gravitate towards the baby versus the mother. Sorry, adults.

I also like a little structure to my days. L&D is anything but. Yes, there are scheduled C-sections. However at any given time you might have zero laboring mothers to all laboring mothers. It ebbs and flows. Which makes me antsy.

I surprisingly liked my Gynecology month much more. Well, not my Oncology weeks, because, well, there is OR time, You know. But I really liked Gynecology clinics and especially the Ob/Gyn longitudinal clinic I was assigned to. I loved seeing the pregnant ladies, measuring their bellies, listening for the baby's heart, counseling them about what to expect next. It was also really cool that I got to see a couple of moms twice over the course of my month there!! Which is really interesting, because longitudinal care isn't necessarily one of my main interests (prefer the high acuity patients).

I liked Ob/Gyn for the reason that it was very niche and I felt I got good learning because of that. I was able to focus on the subject and really read up on things. But it's not something I would pursue. I don't think anything surgical is my style. I much prefer the medicine of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment